Like most of you, I am often stumped when it comes to birthdays, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Christmas, and most gift giving holidays. A few years ago, I started giving gifts based on experiences, and I have to say they are my favorite types of gifts to give. Something you can do together is the best! So here is the list, and most of them (not all) are experienced based. Make sure you read until the end of the post to see May's big announcement just for moms!
10. Tickets to something she’s into. This is the easy one - Red Sox game, comedy show, musical, ballet, concert. The list of events happening in and around Boston is endless, and let’s be honest, mom is usually the one who organizes anything like this, so take the reins and make it easy for her by surprising her with her favorite tickets (bonus if dinner is included).
9. Boston Olive Oil Company 253 Newbury Street, Boston, MA. This place is awesome because they have over 50 varieties of oil and vinegar, and you can taste them all. My favorites are the Fig balsamic, and wild mushroom and sage olive oil.
8. A museum visit. I’m sure you have a few on your list (no judgement if they have been collecting dust on your list for years), but a few of my favorites are the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum, The Institute of Contemporary Art, and of course the Boston essential, Museum of Fine Arts. If you are looking to make a day of it, plan on stopping by the SOWA district after to stroll through the many galleries in Boston’s art district. Bonus if you go on a Sunday, the SOWA open market will be in full swing!
7. A class at the Essex Art Center. I teach photography here and it’s such a hidden treasure! They have an amazing array of fun classes, for all ages… and at SUPER reasonable costs. My favorites are their one day workshops in pottery or painting. Even if mom’s not into art, she will appreciate the zen time away.
6. Helen Thomas Simply Smashing gift card, or almost anything from the store. They have so many cute gifts that it’s nearly impossible to go in there without finding something you can gift to mom, (and yourself). Located at 90 Main Street, Andover, MA.
5. A workout. I know that sounds like a terrible idea at first thought, but there are so many new studios with really fun workouts, they are a blast, and it’s something you can do together. My favorites are Flywheel in the Prudential, Cyc Fitness in Park Plaza, and hot yoga at Baptiste Yoga in Brookline. And what’s a Sunday morning workout without a good brunch after?
3. Boston Cupcake Crawl. Um, who doesn’t like cupcakes? It’s a 2.5 hour walking tour through Boston where you get to learn what goes into the perfect cupcake, and obviously cupcake tasting. Tickets here: http://www.cloud9living.com/boston/boston-cupcake-crawl
2. Revamp her style with a personal stylist! Susan Kanoff offers consultations, closet purges, and personal shopping. You’d be surprised how little time mom has to put into her wardrobe, this might be just what she needs. www.agreatnewlook.com
1. OF COURSE I am biased here, but I truly believe in what I do, and I can’t think of a better gift than a portrait session for mom. She is always the one asking (ok usually begging) for everyone to cooperate for family snapshots, the gift of a professional family portrait session, creating memories that will last forever, will definitely guarantee you a spot on the favorites list.
And now for the big announcement I promised: In honor of Mother’s Day, if you book a family portrait session anytime during the month of May, you’ll receive your $220 session fee in product credit… so basically your session is free. Woah. This is first come, first serve, once May sessions book up, they are gone!
I'm going to end with these photos of my Mom and Nana. Nana absolutely hates having her photo taken, but when they came for a visit two years ago, after some debate and much hesitation, she agreed to sit for me... She loves these photos.
I always love to hear from you. What is your favorite Mother's Day gift to give? I'd love to add to the list! If you are a mom, what is your favorite gift that you've ever received for Mother's Day? Please share in the comments below!